Sunday, October 21, 2012

Halloween Memories

It's hard to believe it's been almost two years since this photo was taken. It's one of my favorites (I seem to say that a lot). Ben is about two months old here, and he was just starting to develop a little personality. I was still on maternity leave, so we were spending lots of time bonding at home. This onesie is also one of my all time favorites. In fact, we recently packed up most of our boy things since learning we are having a girl, and when I found the "I <3 my mummy" onesie, it brought tears to my eyes. We decided this was a keeper, and we packed it away along with some of his other things to be turned into a quilt someday.


I have been thinking about buying a Silhouette Cameo for some time now. I've had my Cricut Personal for almost two years, and it's rare that I ever use it. When I first decided to invest in a die cut machine, I thought the Cricut was a good option for my first purchase. I liked what the machine is capable of, but I didn't care for the fact that it only takes 12" x 6" papers. It seemed so limiting at the time. And while I liked the images I had, I was annoyed by the cartridge system. The carts are so expensive, and so are the digital versions available at the Cricut online store.

I found the Silhouette Cameo blog through Francine Clouden's website, and at first I didn't want to follow it because it seemed like cheating. Why read the blog if I don't have the machine? But I loved all of the great layouts on their site. This one in particular really caught my eye, and I was so gorgeous that I was dying to try it out. And then Studio Calico announced their new class, Cut It Out. The class is all about using your Silhouette for all kinds of great scrapbooking projects. I figured it was sign, so I ordered one and signed up for the class.

My Silhouette came in the mail two weeks ago, and I am loving it. I made this layout with my new baby, and it worked beautifully. I cut the pumpkin shapes out of my main page and used the negative space to add more variety and color. The orange, purple and gray papers are all layered behind the main page, and then I layered more pieces over them to create the jack-o-lanterns.



I added some flags and some alphas for the title. I used some Mister Huey's spray and then stamped over the texture with my new Hero Arts Studio Calico stamps. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment